1) Dear Parents of Teenagers, Here are 5 reasons you should keep your teens involved in youth group...
Dear Parents of Teenagers,
Dear Parents of Teenagers,
When it comes to New Year's resolutions you may think more about things like shedding that excess eggnog-induced weight gain or getting your financial act together than anything youth ministry oriented. But as we approach the New Year I encourage you to take on a new challenge this year. Make it your New Year's resolution to, through God's strength, build a Gospel Advancing ministry.
A Gospel Advancing ministry is one which relentlessly pursues the mission of Jesus by relationally multiplying disciples resulting in radical Gospel transformation. This value-based philosophy of ministry can be used in virtually any youth ministry model.
1. Because 85% of those who trust in Jesus do so before the age of 18 (and that's who we focus on reaching!)
Christmas is one of the holidays where engaging others in a Gospel conversation can be easier and more natural. It is a time of sharing laughter, food and, of course, gifts. And there is no better gift to be shared than the Good News of Jesus. He truly is the reason for the season!
Here are 5 simple ways to share Christ this Christmas:
1. Invite another family to go with you to Christmas Eve services and use it as a Gospel conversation starter.
1. Dress up like a Storm Trooper, rush into a crowded theater on opening night of The Force Awakens and scream, "The Force of God's love is with you all...his name is Jesus!"
2. Just keep chanting, "Say this prayer!"
"I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life." 1 John 5:13
Recently my 14 year old son, Jeremy, conspired with me to come up with an idea to get a discussion going during his weekly prayer meeting with his friends at school. We came up with the idea of asking them, "On a scale from 0-100% how sure are you that you're going to heaven when you die?"
I just had the privilege of spending three days in the mountains of Colorado with 18 leaders from all over the United States. We conspired together to advance the Gospel from coast to coast through a generation of on-fire teenagers and youth leaders.
My heart broke along with yours as I watched the tragic events in San Bernadino unfold last Wednesday. 14 people were massacred and many others wounded in another senseless shooting.
The shooting triggered far too many memories of far too many massacres that have unfolded in the United States in recent years. Just a few months ago a similar tragedy unfolded that left 10 people dead at Umpqua Community College in Oregon.
1. There is a good chance that there are teenagers in your group who are not-yet-Christians and this could be the week they put their faith in Jesus (2 Corinthians 6:2.)
2. The preaching of the Gospel saves the lost and sanctifies the believer (1 Corinthians 1:18.)
It's nice to have #GivingTuesday right after "Cyber Monday" and "Black Friday" as a reminder that, ultimately, we have the privilege of, not just spending money on friends and family, but giving to organizations and ministries that spend themselves giving to others.